Thursday, March 3, 2011

Shooting My First Gun

A couple weeks ago, I went to Florence to visit the Campbells. While I was there, Nathan's dad Kim offered to teach me how to shoot a gun.

"Sure," I said.

"Which one?" he asked. They have a lot of guns.

"I don't know," I said.

He picked up a Weatherby pump action 12 gauge and told me it would be a good one to try. I thought it was big, considering it was about three-quarters of my height.

So after getting instructions on how to load it, hold it and use the safety, he handed me some ear muffs and we were off to the back deck to give it a try.

It was a little heavy, but was able to manage. He told me to aim for the trees, not the wood carvings shaped live cute bear cubs attached to the trellis arch.

I lined up with the sight, took a deep breath and fired. The air started to smell like fireworks, and a green piece of plastic from the shell shot out with it. The kick wasn't that bad. I just had to make sure I didn't move very much.

Nathan kind of smiled or laughed and said I needed to pose for a picture. I held the gun and smiled for the camera, but Nathan said, "No, you need to stand like this with the gun on your thigh."

I thought that would be really weird, but he said, "Everybody does it that way."

Because I'd hardly seen pictures of people with guns, I figured he was right. So I posed and smiled.

After that, Kim asked if I wanted to try another gun. I said okay and we went back inside to pick out another one. I chose a 357 pistol.

I held on tight and fired two shots. The kick was definitely not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

After Nathan shot some bullets, we headed back inside. Kim showed me how to unload and clean the guns before putting them away.

I'm glad I finally learned how to shoot a gun, even if probably looked a little silly doing it.

Thanks Kim!

No comments:

Post a Comment