Saturday, May 17, 2014

Garden Notes: May 17, 2014

I'm sitting on the patio in my backyard listening to Mute Math songs that are new to me on my retro hot pink iPod shuffle, which matches my straw hat.

It's around 64 degrees out, but on my patio it feels warmer that that--warm enough to wear shorts, a tank top and flip flops and not be cold. I call that summer in Oregon after the Fourth of July.

Anyway, back to the garden. My peas are about eight inches tall now, dwarfing the radishes and the hidden lettuce and spinach seeds. I think I planted those seeds too deep or the soil wasn't moist enough. Oh well, I'll water and wait. That seems to be the theme sometimes.



My transplants, courtesy of my mother-in-law, Rachelle, are doing well. I even saw a really tiny bee-looking creature flying from blossom to blossom. It seems to like the ornamental strawberry blossoms. I wonder what this bug is.


My sage plant that I got for free from Bi-mart last year has gone to seed. It has light purple flowers. I haven't decided if I'm going to trim them off yet. I probably should. 


I need to go to the store this weekend to get some Sluggo to keep the snails at bay from the peas and daisies. I read that Sluggo is safe to apply around vegetable plants because its active ingredient, iron phosphate, is safer than other slug repellents that have a more harmful active ingredient. There are also other methods to deter snails, like copper tape, hair, gravel and coffee grounds. You spread it around along the border of your garden bed or container.

And there are the weeds. The unfortunate thing about some retals is some of their yards have a lot of weeds. I will venture to guess that my backyard does not have grass, only weeds and rocks. However, I do have a nice tree. I need to trim it.


Lastly, I need to figure out what to plant in these other pots I have. Looks like I have plenty to keep me busy.





No comments:

Post a Comment