Sunday, April 15, 2012

Apartment Gardening: Peas in the Ground

Every year I try to plant something new, and this year I chose to plant sugar snap peas. I love how sweet and crunchy they taste, and since they can be spendy at the store I thought it would be a good idea to try to plant myself.

I bought some Cascadia pea seeds from Territorial Seed Company at the Down to Earth garden store and some legume inoculant, which helps increase yield but I haven't used it yet. Instead, I soaked the seeds between wet paper towels in a Tupperware container for a few days until the seeds started to sprout. Then they were ready to be planted.

I scraped a trench close to the fence and placed the peas in a row in the trench. Then I covered them up with the dirt. That was a week ago. They are starting come out of the ground now. When they get tall enough, I will make a net with jute on the fence and wrap them around to encourage them to grab it and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment